Events in Wester Ross
If you have local events you would like us to list, please get in touch.
The BIG news for 2017 so far was the Loch Ewe WW11 Festival - This was an exciting weekend of music, dancing, re-enactment, film shows, 1940s makeovers, and much more. The star attraction was undoubtedly a flypast on both days from a Spitfire, which provided a 20 minute display each day, looping up and around Loch Ewe. But...errr...of course, if you are reading this now, you have probably missed it!
What else will 2017 have to offer?
Here are some links to the various webpages, which we'll update with actual dates and information as these become available...............Some are estimated dates just now.
There's also an event calendar with all the information on when, where, and how much.
- Walks, talks, and events at:
- Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve
- Inverewe Garden: Guided gardens tours every weekday Monday - Friday at 1.30pm (included in entrance fee) Ranger family Events throughout the season, Interactive activities for Children at Inverewe house, Red Squirrel themed events throughout the season, and regular Art and craft exhibitions.
- and across the area with the Highland Council Ranger Service
- Poolewe Tuesday Markets - local crafts & produce in the village hall 10am - 2.30pm every Tuesday throughout the summer season
- Lochcarron crafts and produce markets are held monthly during the summer on the last Friday of the month.
- Friday 5th - Sunday 7th May: Ullapool Book Festival
- Saturday July 1st, 2017: Gairloch Gathering
- Every Wednesday evening from early July until late August, the annual series of Poolewe Ceilidh Dances takes place from 8pm at Poolewe Hall.
- Saturday 15th July 2017: Lochcarron Highland Games at Attadale
- July ...Aultbea Raft race and Aultbea Funday
- July 22nd through to 23rd: Applecross Highland Games
- Saturday August 12th: Shieldaig Fete
- 29th September - 30th September, 2017: Loopallu music festival in Ullapool
- 6th, 7th, 8th of October 2017: Ullapool Guitar festival
- (Mid) October 2017: Real Ale Festival at Torridon (dates TBC)
- (Mid) October 2017: Torridon Mountain and Sea Festival
- (Mid) October NTS "Walktober Week"
- Late December, Fayre on the Square, Gairloch - Music, crafts, licensed bar.
Regular events throughout the Year?
Series of Lectures and Exhibitions at Gairloch Museum, covering several aspects of the area's many natural attractions. There are regular workshops on several exhibitions by artists, exhibitions in co-operation with groups and individuals in the area, and many other regular events and exhibitions. Full details of all of these are on the Gairloch Heritage Museum's website.
Open seven days a week between May until October 2017, the Russian Arctic Convoy Museum project will be running an exhibition at their centre in Aultbea. Opening times are 9.30am - 4.30pm, with last admission at 4pm. There's ship and aircraft models, uniforms, artefacts, photos, maps, and so much more - this is located on the main A832 road through Aultbea. Loch Ewe was one of the key assembly points for convoys making the harsh crossing to Russia during the war. A very worthwhile project indeed, so why not call in and support them?